Drones are a technology that have been around a while, but the public use of drones is the latest and most fast growing fad. Getting the answers to commonly asked questions and educating people about drone usage and regulations is huge. Aerial Photography and Videography is a rapidly growing interest and doing it right is key.

Many people ask “why can’t I just purchase my own drone and do aerial projects myself?” You can, however there is a lot more to operating a drone than you might think. If you have flown a professional drone before, then you know that it is something that requires two people to do…and three people to do right. One to fly, one to run camera (on select drones) and one for a lookout regarding people, traffic, wildlife and anything that might interfere. PLUS you will need a FAA 107 Drone Pilot certificate to operate a commercial business. If caught doing commercial business without an FAA107 you will pay strict penalties.

Rocky Mountain Drones  Training Academy can help you Pass the FAA 107 test to help you on your way to starting your commercial business!!!

You can buy your own drone, but it must be registered with the FAA. Before you purchase a drone, we highly recommend you take a look at Know Before You Fly.

Now lets talk about making money or flying a drone commercially. This is where things get tricky. Rocky Mountain Drone pilots have obtained the FAA 333 exemption, and this is required by the FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) to commercially operate a UAV (drone). Under this exemption, the pilot in command must hold either an airline transport, commercial, private, sport or recreational pilot certificate. The FAA is cracking down in a serious way on people that fly drones in a commercial capacity that are not FAA 333 Certified. BUT as Of Aug 2016, anyone who can meet and Pass the FAA 107 test and requirements can operate the drone of your choice legally!!

There have been many accidents where people flying drones have interfered with rescues, fire and police situations. Don’t be one of those people. Below are the basic rules of hobbyist flight and recreational use of drones:
  • Before you fly, place a sign or some orange cones in a 50 foot radius around you so you can focus
  • Fly below 400 feet and remain clear of surrounding obstacles
  • Keep the aircraft within visual line of sight at all times
  • Remain well clear of and do not interfere with manned aircraft operations
  • Don’t fly within 5 miles of an airport unless you contact the airport and control tower before flying
  • Don’t fly near people or stadiums
  • Don’t fly an aircraft that weighs more than 55 lbs
  • Don’t be careless or reckless with your unmanned aircraft – you could be fined for endangering people or other aircraft

Recreationally, no. However if you are a serious hobbyist you likely paid over $800 for your drone…so insurance for accidents and damage to the drone is important.

Commercially, yes. Rocky Mountain Drones is fully licensed and insured to fly commercially. this allows coverage for any situation and protects the drone as well as property and people if something should go wrong that is out of  the operators control. When you obtain your FAA 107 drone pilot certificate and are planning on running a business you WILL WANT INSURANCE!!!

Absolutely. We offer editing and design services as well as the ability to output to any media desired (Youtube, DVD, Vimeo, Facebook etc). Any motion animation and titling you might need for your video is also something we offer along with design services for a complete DVD package.

This depends on the needs of the project. Typically there will be an hourly rate for the aerial shooting as the procedure for flying a drone requires that a pilot and another team member be on-site for safety and assistance purposes. Please feel free to contact us for a free consultation, we look forward to working with you!

The DJI Phantom III Advanced Drone, featuring a 2.7k Camera and an Inspire 1 Pro with a 4k camera. We also use a DJI Osmo to get interior footage that is to small for a drone.

Absolutely! We can schedule the time you need for any project. Although we are based in Pueblo, we can drive (or fly…Kriss has an FAA pilots license) to New Mexico or any other neighboring states like Kansas, Utah, Wyoming, Montana, Arizona and even Texas. If you are in Colorado for a movie shoot or have a need for equipment inspections, solar panel inspections or another type of creative project, we are happy to pop up to Denver, Colorado Springs, Salt Creek, Manitou Springs, Fort Collins, Greeley, Black Forest, Crested Butte, Gunnison…anywhere!